HRT - WTF?!

Doctors, HSE, Hair Removal, your body, top and bottom Surgery, documentation questions, hormones et al, all goes in here

Moderators: Supermods, Trans Related Moderators

HRT - WTF?!

Postby Keeley » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:56 am

Hey all,

I'm an Irish trans woman (m2f), been transitioning for a year or so, went full-time 9 months ago. Been a breeze so far.

However, this HRT lark...Here's the thing: I've been on estradot (patches, 50mg) for nearly 2 months now (having had to initially wait 8 months for my first appointment at Loughlinstown, they told me they didn't need to see me for another 6 months and gave me a 6 month repeat prescription). Unlike every other account I've ever read of, I was amazed to be put straight onto estrogen, so no blockers (I'd been passing non-stop for the 8 months before I even started HRT, and had transitioned very successfully from a public perspective i.e in work and everyday life etc so I guess the doc figured I could skip blockers and go straight to the main event). Something I agreed with, and was obviously ecstatic about at the time, having waited so long to commence hormones.

So far though, I have noticed almost no changes! I've had no side-effects whatsoever - no emotional changes, no libido changes - nothing. Which is good I guess. However I've also noticed no physical changes, apart from slightly bigger boobs (however, my boobs had been getting steadily bigger all of their own accord in the 8 months or so before I started hormones anyway, how I do not know as I was taking absolutely nothing until I started HRT 7 and a half weeks ago!)

So...my question is, what on Earth is going on?! I know hormones are supposed to take a while to take effect but I really would have expected some changes by now. Is it that the dosage I'm on is too small? I'm planning to ask them to at least double it on my return to Loughlinstown in January. If anyone has any insights I'd be most grateful ta.
Head over heels, breaking away
Pushing through unknown jungles every day
She's a girl with a taste for the world
Keeley
Newt

Pronouns: Her, she
Preferred name: Keeley

Re: HRT - WTF?!

Postby joannedub » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:01 am

Hi Keeley,
It seems strange alright to prescribe oestrogen straight away without first putting you on some form of blockers.
The reason for this is it causes a sort of conflict in your body as the dominant testosterone battles with the oestrogen and tries to flush it from your body which can result in liver/kidney damage.
Ideally they need to reduce the testosterone first before introducing oestrogen so the oestrogen can be the dominant hormone.

Did you have bloods done before they gave you the 6 month prescription?
Before you judge somebody,walk a mile in their shoes,
After that,Who cares?
They're a mile away and you've got their shoes......
joannedub
Transporter

Pronouns: she her
Preferred name: Joanne

Postby Keeley » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for your reply. I made sure to have my bloods with me when I turned up (43 separate levels if I read it right!) The doc seemed impressed with the results (I suspected my testosterone count being low was one of the reasons they thought I could skip blockers).

One thing I forgot to mention in my post above is I do get a lovely calm feeling (slightly 'butterfly'-ish if you know what I mean!) whenever I start a new patch.

Have you been on hormones long yourself?
Keeley
Newt

Postby joannedub » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:08 pm

I'll be 6 years on hrt on the 9th of September,
I started off self medicating, then my gp and Dr Kelly persuaded me to go under the care of loughlinstown,so I did, and haven't really looked back since then,
They started me on the patches and a zoladex injection every month,but now the injection is only every 3 months,which is not so bad,
When are you due back in loughlinstown?
After that,Who cares?
joannedub
Transporter

Postby Keeley » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks Joanne. Not due back til January. What do you think the chances are of me getting them to up the ante dosage-wise between now and then? Especially as I've had zero side effects etc, I strongly suspect I could do with a higher dose. Or do they have a strict rule of not adjusting a prescription until the next appointment comes around?
Keeley
Newt

Postby joannedub » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:04 pm

They won't up the dosage until your next appointment and they look at your bloods,and even then,they'll probably only up it to 75,if they even up it at all.

They look at lots of things before they up it like your age,whether you smoke,how much you drink and all that sort of stuff,
To be honest I hate going anywhere near the place,but ye have to show a bit of an interest in the whole thing and let yourself be a human guinea pig!! :lol: :lol:
After that,Who cares?
joannedub
Transporter

Postby Keeley » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:16 pm

I know Loughlinstown gets a fair bit of stick on here but I really liked my first and so far only visit there! I was seen immediately (at 8.15am, exactly the time the appointment was listed for. I was first in the queue to register which probably helped) the doc was lovely and all in all I was out of there with my script after only 20 mins or so! Totally not what I had been expecting.

I don't smoke or drink alcohol (I never have) so I should be alright there lol. Thanks again for your replies Joanne, you're the only person who's replied to anything I've posted since I started using this site
Keeley
Newt

Postby joannedub » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:03 pm

There has been a marked improvement there in about the last year or so which makes things run a lot smoother,
It's a lot more patient friendly now,and not before time,but I still find it a proper pain!!
I travel all over Europe with my job,so for me to attend the clinic,it normally means travelling for up to 2 days with very little sleep,to sit in the queue,have a trainee doctor tell me my bloods are fine and hand me my prescription!! Would be easier for all with a phone call and the price of a stamp!! :lol: :lol:

But all joking aside,they do a very good job there,they're thourough in what they do,and have only your best interests at heart,I only ever had one bad experience there and it was with a male trainee doctor who constantly went out of his way to keep gendering me wrong,alas that was a long time ago when I wasn't as confident,
If he done it now,I'd eat him without salt!!!
After that,Who cares?
joannedub
Transporter

Postby Keeley » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:08 pm

Haha, nice one Joanne!

Cheeky get. Hopefully he's in the 'Where are they now?' file.
Keeley
Newt

Return to Your health, your body and the system